Komi Patterned Bag

click for bigger picture

Pattern:
The design of the bag is based on the Gift Bag pattern in Handknit Holidays, but the color pattern is from Knitting Marvelous Mittens (it's part of mitten #8)
Yarn:
Two skeins of worsted-weight wool yarn from my stash.
I really like this yarn. It is 'au naturel' without being all greasy. Unfortunately, it was unlabeled so I can't get more of it. I think I may have bought it a few years ago at Plimoth Plantation.
Needles:
US 8
Gauge:
19st and 21rows = 4" in stranded 2-color knitting
Size:
About 7.5" in diameter and 11.5" tall
Modifications:
I modified the size of the bag to fit three repeats of the Komi pattern. I also changed the method of decreasing on the bottom of the bag to give a more circular bottom. The Gift Bag pattern has you decrease in the same five spots, which results in a pentagonal bottom. I moved the decreases each round to get a smoother circle with less defined sides and no decrease lines.
click for bigger pictureAlso, when it was done, I crocheted a chain edge around the bottom of the bag. This hid the little purl bumps from the 'turning round' and gave it a more finished look.
Finished:
April 2006
Comments:
I used this method for dealing with the color-jog at the end of a round. I moved my end-of-round-point around a little to keep it in the middle of a light blue section, which worked out pretty well. I have to look pretty hard to find the end of round points in the finished bag.

click for bigger pictureI really like this Gift Bag pattern. The bags are fun to make and they are a great way to try out color-knitting patterns on a small scale project.
This is actually the third Gift Bag I've made. I made two others out of Cascade 220 and gave them as Christmas gifts. This bag came out somewhat sturdier than those, possibly due to the more rugged nature of this yarn.

click for bigger pictureHere is a picture of the bag on its makeshift blocking tube, so you can see the full patttern.

click for bigger pictureAnd here is the inside of the bag. I think I like the pattern better this way -- with the dark and light colors reversed.

Labels:

0 Comments: