Natural/Brown Fair Isle Socks

click for bigger picture

Pattern:
adapted from the Ukrainian Socks pattern in Folk Socks by Nancy Bush
Yarn:
Sandnes Smart Superwash, [100% superwash wool,
color: 2523 (beige tweed) and ??? (brown tweed)
Needles:
US 3?
Size:
women's medium
Modifications:
I used only 2 colors instead of the 5 colors shown in the pattern. Also, I did my normal heel flap instead of the Peasant Heel, and a solid toe instead of the patterned toe in the pattern.
I started these socks in 2003, but then abandoned them for about a year, before finally finishing them. That must be why I totally messed up the repeat pattern of the stitch pattern on the second sock (see picture below). Oh well, that just gives them more folksy charm, right?
Finished:
Summer 2004
Comments:
I love the colors of this yarn, but having no nylon content, it was not the best choice for socks. The yarn has worn out at the heel and the ball of the foot. If you look closely at the picture above, you can see where I duplicate stitched these areas with a brown sock yarn.

click for bigger pictureYeah, they are not the same, but we are calling them folksy.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm writing only for congratulations. Wonderful! The socks of the photo are the best and the size of the feet the ideal. All very correctly. Good luck! An unforgetable 2008.

12/29/2007 12:45 PM