Debbie Bliss Molly Bolero

Pattern:
Molly Bolero from Debbie Bliss Junior Knits
Yarn:
Laines Du Nord Dolly Maxi (from Elann.com) [100% merino wool],
color: 0906 (Dusty Rose), 9 balls
Needles:
US 9 (and US 8 for edging)
Size:
biggest size (ages 9-10)
Modifications:
The body and sleeves of this bolero are knit as one piece (see diagram below) and then the edging is picked up and knit. I used short rows to shape the sleeves rather than using the stair-step cast-on and bind-off specified in the pattern. I used a provisional cast for the sleeves and kitchenered them together to avoid seams. I then knit the ribbed edging on the sleeves in the round (instead of flat, as per pattern). I sewed the short side seams before working on the body edging so I could knit that in the round too (yes, I'm an "in the round" freak, apparently). The edging around the neck uses short rows and the pattern did not say anything about wrapping the turns, but I did it anyway (and I found that it is not easy to hide the wrap in ribbing -- which is probably why the pattern ignored the wraps).
Finished:
November 2005
Comments:
This bolero came out rather large, but it seems that Debbie Bliss sizes many of her children's patterns to be oversized, and I guess I forgot that. My daughter is 9 and it is pretty big on her (in fact, it fits me, except that the sleeves are a little too short). I probably should have made the ages 8-9 size.

The Dolly Maxi yarn was soooo soft. I enjoyed working with it, although it did have a tendency to split.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi - i'm knitting the same pattern and I'm find that the stair step cast off is not working and when I pick up stitches for the edging, it's bumpy and not rounded. Would you be able to put up your pattern with the short row knitting instructions (it's my first time) or email it to me - i'm knitting the first size (2years). Thanks!

3/16/2008 1:08 PM  
Blogger Rachael said...

I found it impossible to make the front work (the turning instructions don’t apply to the whole row): the right front is fine, but there don’t seem to be instructions for the left front border. I’m a relative beginner, and think I will have to begin the border again.

12/07/2020 11:48 AM